Sunday, May 18, 2008

So this is how the other half lives?

No, not the rich. Just people in the southern hemisphere. It is getting closer to winter here in Oz and it is really pretty surreal for me. First, living in a very arid climate, winter is the rainy season so it is strange for me to see things come alive and bloom in the winter time. Also it is really not that cold. At night it gets down to 6 C/42 F. That is not too bad when you have heat but since I live in the land of denial ("It does not get cold here"), very few houses have heat. Luckily we have a lovely fireplace so we can add our fair share of pollution to the air. And we do every night. It is also odd to me to plant a garden in the winter time and have it produce vegetables.
The days have gotten to be very short with the sun coming up at 7ish and setting at 5:30. Pretty early. If I want my clothes to dry now I had better have them on the line by 9 am or it probably won't be happening today. These short days do very little to help people with seasonal depression. And it is not even technically winter yet.
Well, that is all I have to say for today.
Rambling thought~ Rose now has 6 teeth! In 2 weeks! Wow. Go Rose!

3 comments:

Mooselet said...

"the land of denial"... I like that.

It's been very blustery in Brisbane the last few days and I'm freezing. I can understand why houses here in the sub-tropics don't come with central heating - well, not really but I'm trying - buy why they aren't insulated is beyond me. I just want to stay under the covers all day, or ride around in my heated car.

Anonymous said...

6 teeth in 2 weeks? Wow!

Sounds like your climate is the opposite of mine. Up here, it rains in the summer and is dry as a bone in the winter. But a nice cracklin' fire on a cold night - mmmmm, lovely!

Andy said...

As someone who has lived in the west for most of his life, I'm convinced that it is more than just mere denial.

They're LYING to you.

These same buggers who claim that it "never gets cold" always seem to have a plethora of different electric and gas space heaters squirreled away.

So while you're shivering away through the winter, they are sitting there with various heating elements blasting towards them. It's just a bit of a joke we like to play on newcomers...