Saturday, December 15, 2007

Mele Kalikimaka

Ok, so I am not sure if I am going to get that wonderful Christmas feeling this year like I do at home. I look at the photos on tv of the blizzard that hit the east coast of the US and then it looks like Christmas but here, it just loses something in translation. I know it is all a matter of perceptions but even the Aussies have images of snowflakes and Santa in a fuzzy red suit around. But when it is 95 degrees outside, I just feel like bbq'ing and drinking beer at the beach. Hey wait, that is what they do on Christmas too. Maybe this IS the way you are supposed to feel at Christmas in Australia. I was talking to a local that spent a year in China and she said it was very weird to have a cold Christmas, it just didn't "feel" like Christmas to her. Perception people. Now my kids will have fond memories of building sand castles and swimming on Christmas day. Even my 4 year old told Santa she wanted a beach ball and a bucket for Christmas. Now she has the spirit!
Merry Christmas or Mele Kalikimaka! (That is for you Preston)

2 comments:

outoutout said...

hehehe... it's funny, I've had "Mele Kalikimaka" playing in my head for the last 3 days now.

Australia really needs its own Christmas image. There is the "6 white boomers", but that hasn't really caught on yet...

kitten said...

Bless your heart, I know just how you feel! Here in Brissy we've had record low temps with lots of rain. I know we need it but sheesh, can it stop now? I heard that Perth had records in the opposite direction! Can't say Which place I'd rather have been. it's sad it takes a few degrees in one direction or another to put us "in the mood" for a holiday. Hehe, I remember one year we went skiing on Christmas day back home....water skiing that is, was 80 degrees and we LOVED it! How weird is that?