Friday, October 12, 2007

Walking down memory lane




I had not planned on writing about this but timing would have it that on another blog I read, The Social Primate , and he was talking about going through old things getting ready for his move to Australia. I have been doing just that over the past few days. I have very few of the mixed tapes left that he was talking about because I through those away when I moved from my parents years ago and started buying CD's. Now I am going through the mixed cd's, old photos, yearbooks, old newspapers, etc. Since we are not going to be getting a large sea container, we will be limited to what we will be shipping overseas.


My big thing was journaling. I have kept a journal since I was 8 years old when my mother gave me my first "diary". Remember the little ones that had about 4 lines to write on and had a key so you could "hide" your deepest 4 line thoughts? I soon progressed to spiral notebooks so that is what I have most of. I had about 3 boxes of them. I did not have time to read them all but I went through and read a few highlights here and there. The ones from my school days are very funny. I remember the "pain" in having my heart broken by Ricky in high school when he started dating a girl I worked with at the movie theater that I introduced him too. I tried to end it all by swollowing 5 benedryl. Woke up the next morning with dry eyes and a dry mouth.


Then reading about my college days and graduation. All the trips and friends that I had long forgotten. So much writing. Now it is blogging. But there is still this feeling of comfort in opening a clean notebook, picking up a pen and putting it on the paper so that your soul can bleed out onto paper. Once I am in Australia, I will start back to my journals so that my little ladies can have somethings to read about there dear old mom when they grow up if they want to.


2 comments:

kitten said...

Hahahah! That sooo reminded me of when I tried to "end it all" with 3 or 4 of my moms xanax and a few hits of peach schnapps rofl! I was sick then I slept and I kept waking myself up because I snored so loud.

Author! Author! said...

Ugh, I cannot stand to read my whiney old journals about my emotions. I just want to vomit. Feelings can change so much in such a short time, I now regret having wsted so much time exploring my inner landscape.

My journaling changed dramatically when I stumbled on an exhibit by Peter Beard in New Orleans. He had taken to journaling over some of his old photographs. Now my journals are filled with scraps of paper and random thoughts and impressions - stories about things that HAPPEN.

Of course, I would never throw out those old journals...or all those old love letters, even though they make me gag, too!